Monday, 26 January 2009

WB update

Dagnabbit...

After another stupidly long gap (8 or 9 weeks), I sent away my third assignment for marking. Within two days I got it back (I think she marks mine fast to point out my slowness). The first few sections were good apparently (excluding a few grammar issues), but the final part, a short story, wasn't.

To be honest I thought it was a bit hit and miss when I sent it, and really I should have given it another revision or two, but I wanted to get it over with so I could move on to the next assignment.

The main problem with the story was the viewpoint. It was only short at 1800+ words, but I had two viewpoints and each had a different style to them. Basically, it was about a man breaking into an old house and being confronted by the ghoul that lived there. When in the viewpoint of the man, I wrote it like a horror (trying to escape). When in the viewpoint of the ghoul, I aimed for an almost slapstick style (trying to catch the "burglar"). I felt that it worked reasonably well at the time, but my tutor thought otherwise and recommended I stick to a single viewpoint.

In hindsight, I tend to agree with the tutor. I think if the story had been a few k longer, the double viewpoint may have worked out. I'm currently trying to rewrite it entirely from the ghoul's perspective. I might actually post it here instead of submitting it, as it would likely be a bugger to sell.

Anyway, the problems with the short story led to a lower "grade" than my previous piece. A "C" to be precise, which means "Meh, I wouldn't try and submit this anywhere if I were you". While the word of my tutor is hardly gospel, she's been doing this a lot longer than me and should have a good idea of what's what. So I will grudgingly accept my "C" and strive for better marks in my future work.

That's all folks, newbie writer out.

No comments: