Sunday, 19 April 2009

Bah, I say.

After sending the first scene of my WIP novella to a couple of lovely people (I say lovely because they liked it), I've noticed that I have a serious problem with it.

The first third (of the 26k I've written) is how it should be; funny, sarcastic and a little dark. The rest though is merely dark and sarcastic. Somewhere along the line I screwed up the style and didn't notice. Until now.

Bah!

I don't believe in editing until the first draft is done, so I'm not going to run back and prat about with things, but I think my first edit is going to be a major one.

5 comments:

Lost Wanderer said...

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. But now that you have noticed it, despite the hard work, I am sure it will make a better draft after you finally edit it.

Adam said...

Thanks. I hope you're right! :-)

Adam

Benjamin Solah said...

I hate it when that happens! It usually happens when I take a break from writing that WIP, read some dramatically different, and write again.

Adam said...

I'm pretty sure that's what happened here, too.

I stopped work to finish my novel, which is a lot less humorous, and then came back to it a few months later.

I gave it a read through to get back into the frame of mind (while restraining the urge to edit!), but I guess it wasn't enough!

Adam

Benjamin Solah said...

Yeah, guess you need to practice 'imitating' your old style to get it back or something.