Saturday, 13 June 2009

I "kinda" hate my novel.

(Listening to - Rammstein - Feuer Frei!)
(Nicked this from Pub Rants, a fascinating blog about the life of a literary agent.)



Having just finished the first edit yesterday, I've come to a few decisions about Solus. While I love the characters, the plot, and the general direction and tone, a lot of the writing is, quite frankly, shite.

This novel was the first I'd ever written, and as such, the first third is atrocious. Even after a great deal of editing, I'm still not anything approaching "happy" with it. I think it's going to be a case of practically rewriting the damn thing, and pasting in the odd bit of "decent" story.

For now though, I'm going to concentrate on editing my UF novella and writing (then editing) my SF novella. I'd like to get them out there making me the odd sale while I hack and slash at Solus.

Adam out.

PS. The editing hat worked. Sped me right up.
PPS. It's my 26th birthday tomorrow!

4 comments:

bettielee said...

OH MY GOSH! Happy pre birthday to my stalkee!
Hey - you completed and just did the first edit. Let that little bitch marinate. You will be surprised the next time you pick it up. You know the super crappy first novel I occasionally refer to? Ok, maybe you don't, cuz you don't live with me, but I read a few pages of the monster a few days ago and saw a few really crappy things, but was also delighted it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Maybe you need fresh eyes and a beta to give you a new perspective.

And I think everyone hates the novel they just finished, so congrats! You have taken one of the last pre-published stages of being a "novelist" - angst and all!

cuddles
bettielee

Adam said...

This isn't a case of needing fresh eyes. It's a case of "terrible writing". ;-)

Meh, I'm leaving it to settle for a while, and then I'll have at it.

*Hugs for my stalker.*

Adam

Benjamin Solah said...

This happened with a lot of my short stories. Yes, rewriting is the answer and it's kind of exciting if you think about it the right way.

Your writing ability has progressed since that last draft you now find horrible.

Adam said...

I am getting a little excited at the prospect of redoing it, now I think about it. :-)

Adam