Sunday, 2 August 2009

Big ass writer's meme.

(Listening to - Eminem - Cleanin Out My Closet)

In an attempt to move my angsty posts down a bit, I went looking for a reasonable writing meme. This was stolen from The Lady With The Laptop


What's the last thing you wrote? The last completed work was a short story about butterflies.

Was it any good? To begin with, I didn't like it. It's grown on me though.

What's the first thing you ever wrote that you still have? My novel, Solus.

Write poetry? VERY occasionally. And it sucks.

Angsty poetry? No, just awful.

Favourite genre of writing? Fantasy, or possibly humour.

Most fun character you ever wrote? Mal, the MC of my urban fantasy novella. He's a dry, sarcastic and British undead grim reaper.

Most annoying character you ever wrote? Hmmm. Jaldekar, the antagonist of my novel Solus. Annoying in a "hard to write" way, though.

Best plot you ever wrote? Either my UF novella, or a sci-fi short I never finished writing. Must get around to that, actually...

Coolest plot twist you ever wrote? Toward the end of my novel. I shan't spoil it, but it was to do with the swapping of allegiances.

How often do you get writer's block? Never. I don't believe in it. I do get times when I find it VERY difficult to write (I'm going through one now), but I can still write, I just choose not to.

Write fan fiction? No, though I have been tempted to before.

Do you type or write by hand? Type. I occasionally handwrite, but it's a rarity, as I hate transferring it to my PC afterwards.

Do you save everything you write? Well duh. Save, and backup to 4 different places, one of which is off-site.

Do you ever go back to an old idea long after you abandoned it? I did recently. I had a short story I hadn't touched in nearly 6 months.

What's your favourite thing that you've written? A scene in my UF novella which revolves around the MC, Mal, being locked in a mortuary.

What's everyone else's favourite thing that you've written? I don't know. It'd be part of my UF novella, as no one has seen the novel. ;-)

Do you even show people your work? Yup. At first it was a (very) select few, but I expanded a bit after all the positive comments.

Who's your favourite constructive critic? I haven't had all my crits back yet, so I reserve judgement.

Did you ever write a novel? Yup. As I said higher up, it's called Solus. It's a fantasy that will eventually be a 3 book series.

Have you ever written fantasy, sci-fi, or horror? Yes, yes and kinda.

Ever written romance or teen angsty drama? No, but I intend to attempt an erotica at some point.

What's your favourite setting for your characters? Their homes are fun. You can add details that speak volumes about their character. If it's a full on fantasy though, I prefer "the road". I love big long treks in fantasy novels.

What's one genre you have never written, and probably never will? Young adult, or middle grade. I don't like to be restricted in my themes.

How many writing projects are you working on right now? One novella, and I have a few shorts that need editing too.

Do you want to write for a living? Hell yeah.

Have you ever written something for a magazine or newspaper? I have a letter in a TV guide. That count?

Have you ever won an award for your writing? Give me time...

Ever written something in script or play format? No.

What are your five favourite words? Your. Books. Rock. My. World. (Seriously, I have no clue)

Do you ever write based on yourself? Every character I write will have aspects of me. I think it's unavoidable.

What character that you've written most resembles yourself? I'd like to say Garett from Solus, but it'd be Mal from my UF novella.

Where do you get ideas for your other characters? Short answer - My braincleverz.

Do you ever write based on your dreams? I hardly ever remember my dreams. So no.

Do you favour happy endings, sad endings, or cliff-hangers? Happy with a bit of a cliffhanger.

Have you ever written based on an artwork you've seen? No, but I have a short story planned out that is based on a song.

Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write? Yes. Spelling is VITAL. Grammar is important too, but to a lesser extent. I'm by no means a grammar nazi.

Ever write something entirely in chatspeak? (How r u?) Good god no.

Entirely in L337? See above.

Was that question completely appalling and un-writer like? Yes. Bastard.

Does music help you write? Yes and no. Sometimes I'll listen to music, sometimes I need absolute silence. Depends on whether my muse is knocking about or not.

Are people surprised and confused when they find out you write well? Only me. ;-)

Quote something you've written. The first thing to pop into your mind.
Wriggling down, his bare feet found the door to the cabinet. He braced his arms against the sides as best he could, and began to kick viciously. After what seemed like an age, there was a crack.
"Finally!"
Mal sighed and stopped kicking. "That was my foot."



Thur. Done!


Adam

4 comments:

bettielee said...

Very good answers! This one looks like fun. ... can't come up with anything else to say...

luv
bettielee

Lost Wanderer said...

Fab answers, and especially love your quote from your writing.

Kathy said...

Try writing erotica. It's a lot of fun.

Kathy said...

The descriptions are key.

It's quite a challenge to figure out different ways of describing the action. You almost have to invent new words.