Saturday, 8 August 2009

My latest gadget.

A few days ago, I became the proud owner of a Sony PRS-505 E-reader.

Half arsed sleep deprived review incoming:

For those of you who don't know what that is, it's an electronic device designed for the sole purpose of reading Ebooks.
(Apologies for the crap pics; shaky hand + low light level = blurz)

Now, I'm sure several people are getting ready to write a "paper is better!!!1111one" comment, so I'd just like to say this:

Shut the hell up.
I agree entirely.

When given the choice, I will always go for paper over "E". Every single time. I love the tangibility and tactility of books.

Thing is, there isn't always a choice. There are a lot of books out there that are only available in electronic formats. Both of my novellas, for instance, will be electronic only. That's not to mention the hundreds of free "classic" ebooks out there. The reader came with 100, and while most are overwritten uninteresting purple crap (Shakespeare, Austin etc), there are some good 'uns too (Stoker, Poe, Verne).

Anyway, back to the reader.

Thanks to the "Electronic Ink" screen, reading it is no more straining to my eyes than a regular paperback. Also, the battery life is crazy good. 6800 page turns, to be precise. It's also light, well built and easy to use. It can remember your place in multiple books with the press of a button, and you can even put MP3s on it (though this will obviously drain the battery).

The only problem I've come across (except the cost) is the odd compatibility issue. Some PDFs are sluggish, and some don't work at all. This isn't a major issue though, as the majority of ebook sellers offer multiple formats.

In short, me likey.


Adam

PS. Any decent SF/F or humour ebook recommendations will be appreciated.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Yaay!! They are most awesome machines indeed. I use mine for books I wouldn't normally buy as a paperback, so if I don't like it I can just delete it.

As for the whole dodgy PDF malarkey... If the PDF is saved in such a way that makes it one big chapter, the eReader thinks the file is too big and won't read it. I found that out the hard way after purchasing a book from Waterstones (the fecking affiliated seller for the things no less). Was most displeased.

Anyhoo, apart from that, I've never had any problems with mine. Happy reading :)

bettielee said...

Awesome. I want a kindle so bad, soley because I cringe when I buy a book, knowing how much paper it takes.... and because I am running out of room in my apartment!

bettielee

Adam said...

I looked at the Kindles, but they aren't available in the UK (a rights thing I guess). This Sony rocks though. ;-)


Adam

Lost Wanderer said...

First a horrified expression...did you just call Jane Austen uninteresting? (Or was it actually supposed to be some Austin, whom I don't know??)

Now curious...is there any particular difference between Sony Reader and Amazon Kindle?

Adam said...

LW - You read correctly. I find her dull and overly flowery. I'd rather jam a fork in my leg than read any more of her drivel.

The two devices do the same thing, but the Kindle allows you to read Kindle versions of the ebooks too. It's only available in the states though, so buying one requires messing around.


Adam

Lisa said...

The Kindle also has wirless access and can download up-to-date content. You could set it up to download your favourite newspaper each morning etc. And a whole load of other stuff that I can't remember, but that was the main point that I can recall offhand.

Adam said...

Ooh, I'd forgotten that bit. ;-)

Adam

Trulyana said...

Hey Adam,
You know I have seen this nifty little gadget around on the train a lot. (Not on it's own, of course) I was wondering what it was, as I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. Glad to see you are putting it to good use! :)