Thursday, 5 November 2009

Chapter 1: Starts and Beginnings.

(Listening to - The Misfits - Die Monster Die)

(The title is a reference to The Simpsons episode where Marge writes a book. It seemed apt, seeing as this post is about how I started writing.)

There is a saying that seems to be both loved and loathed in equal amounts among the writing community.

"Everyone has a book inside them."

There are a bunch of different versions of this quote, but they all mean the same thing, and they all reinforced the same thought in my head. "I could do that." That was back in my last year of high school, so I was 15 or 16. For the next seven or eight years, I did nothing about it. Not one thing. I worked, I (occasionally) studied, I played, I slept, but not once did I think "right! Time to get cracking on this book of mine!"

Even so, the thought remained, swimming around in the back of my mind, like an [insert irritating metaphor about fish that makes little sense].

So, yeah. The thought was there, but a thought it stayed. Until one late night around two and a half years ago when a short and rather vague idea for the first part of a scene popped into my head. It was something like:

Garett picked himself up off the floor and knocked the dust from his clothing.
"Is it so hard to run a broom over a place every once in a while?"

I thought "ooooooh!", made a note on my pocket PC and went back to bed. The next morning I started writing. That line is now the opening line of my 70k+ fantasy novel, Solus.

It took me two years (18 months slacking, 6 months working) to reach "The End", and that was only the first draft. It's badly written, full of continuity errors, plot holes and cardboard characters, but I love it like a child. Nothing beats holding a printed MS in your hand and thinking "I made this. These people exist because of me."

Well, except maybe holding the published version. ;-)

Anyway, that's enough from me, what about you? How did you get started?

I want blog posts and links, people! :)


Adam

18 comments:

Lost Wanderer said...

Love this post. I love to hear about writers got started. And love the post idea too, but mine is bit long-winded so will do it after NaNo is finished.

Adam said...

Thanks, LW. I look forward to reading your post (when you get chance to write it). :-)

Adam

Tara said...

I've always loved to write. I remember asking for more paper in kindergarten because I didn't have enough room to write my story. It seems I never stopped writing, but I didn't pursue it seriously until this year. I'm not sure what changed.

Adam said...

Thanks Tara! :-)

I was a late bloomer, I guess. ;)

Adam

Melanie Avila said...

I love this post. I can pinpoint what got me writing as an adult -- my move to Mexico & my cousin who introduced me to AW and agent blogs. My actual writing started when I could physically write. I always wrote stories, songs, and poems, and was particularly prolific in junior & high school. I stopped once I got to college and didn't start again for almost ten years.

Adam said...

Thanks, Mel. :-) *poke*

As a child, I rarely wrote anything, barring school stuff. I've always been an avid reader though.


Adam

Singer416 said...

Great post. And I have followed your command at the end and written about it on my blog. :)

Now, go read mine and then work on your NaNo project! ;)

Adam said...

YAY! Ta, Sarah. ;-)

As for NaNo, it's day 5 and I have 1k words... I fail so hard. ;-)

Adam

Jamie D. said...

Wonderful post - I love hearing how people got started, esp. when they're publishing soon... :-)

I think I wrote about my own story awhile back, but can't find the post. Hmm. But there is an award waiting for you on my blog (no pressure to use or post it, just know it's there). :-)

Award!

Adam said...

Thanks, Jamie! :-)

Ooh, award? Thanks again! :D

Adam

Kaity Hall said...

It's hard to pinpoint when I decided that this was going to be my "career" but I've always written. Especially poetry. I'm a big poetry nut. But I'll write a blog post as soon as I'm able.

Now, stop reading blog comments and get back to that NaNo project!!!

~KK~

Adam said...

Thanks, Kaity, I look forward to the post!

(I'm on a short writing break, I'll be writing again in a minute, honest!)


Adam

bettielee said...

Most excellent post. I shall copy you when next I update my blog (as I am so busy putting up kitty pictures! :) For tonight: I have another 2000 words to write (I was gonna slack and only do 1000!) :)
bettielee

Adam said...

Ta, Bettz! ;-)

I look forward to your post, and yay for the wordcount! :)

Adam

dirtywhitecandy said...

In childhood, it started with English exams. We were told, in the essay question, to pick factual topics, not the short story, because no one did it well. A perverse wish to prove teachers wrong has led to all sorts of trouble...

Adam said...

Haha, thanks for that, Dirtywhitecandy! :D


Adam

Sonya Clark said...

Hey Adam, I was reading through your back catalog here and especially loved this post. I liked it so much I wrote my own version tonight, not that I know how to add a link to a comment. (hangs head in shame)

Adam said...

Thanks very much, Sonya! :D

Ooh, I'll go look for your post. I love finding out how people got started. :-)

Adam