Monday, 23 November 2009

I have no idea what this post will contain.

(Listening to - The Ramones - Today Your Love [Live])

I noticed that I hadn't posted in a week, so I thought I'd post something (and not the Harlequin Horizons thingy, that's been very well covered already, though I'll say I strongly disagree with the new line). Problem is I have no clue what to post about, so I decided to do something off the top of my head.

First of all, a quicky update - I've just handed in my first set of edits (the "pre edits" as Lyrical calls them) to my editor. I now have a little free time in which I can take my head out of Mal and Amy's world, and jam it back into March's world(s) instead.

Right, the meat of the post. Um...

I recently knackered my back quite badly on my brother's rowing machine. More accurately, I knackered my back moving the damn thing. 2 weeks later and I still get aches and the odd stabbing pain in certain positions, though it's a lot better than it was.

This is why I don't do exercise, people!

Ooh, that reminds me! During the short period of time that I walked daily, I found it produced a fair amount of story ideas. Almost as many as a hot shower. So, people, give me your top 5 places/activities for getting ideas!

Mine would be:

1 - Long hot showers.
2 - Walking (for short distances, since I'm unfit).
3 - Bed, usually as I'm drifting off.
4 - Reading. Not all books, but a good few spark ideas.
5 - Watching TV. Fantasy tends to be the biggie.

So, anyway... As I was saying further up, I have a week or two before I get my edits back, so I'll be heading back to Plane Walker for a bit. November was supposed to be NaNoWriMo, but that went out of the window when my edits appeared. Not that I mind; edits beat NaNo in my mind.
I'm sure some people are capable of doing both, but I'm not currenlty one of them.

The first draft of P.W. is coming along quite nicely so far. I'm only 11k into it (out of [ideally] 80k), but the main character is taking shape nicely, and the protagonist and secondary characters are coming along too. The story itself is still hazy in places, but my outlines are always like that at the beginning. They flesh as I write. I've tried rigidly setting out what happens, and I've tried writing without an outline of any sort, and neither work for me. Each to their own, as I say far too much. :-)

Right, that'll do for this trainwreck of a post, methinks. If, for some strange reason, anyone wishes to ask a question, throw it in the comments and I'll answer. Unless it's too personal. Ah, who am I kidding? Nothing's too personal. ;-)

TTFN

Adam

17 comments:

Melanie Avila said...

My idea-generating list is identical to your with two exceptions:

- we don't have hot water so I just take "showers"

and

- I don't watch much fantasy, so just TV/movies.

I'd say edits beat NaNo anyday. :)

Tara McClendon said...

Up until the new announcement, I used to get some very good ideas in the tanning booth.

Adam said...

Mel - Most all of what I watch on TV is fantasy or sci-fi (or comedy). I'm a geek and proud. ;-)

Tara - Eep!!! ;)


Adam

Kaity Hall said...

I get a lot of my inspiration from TV and books and music.

I also enjoy the creative hot shower (or bubble bath, whichever the case may be)

But my biggest creative jumpstarter is listening to converasations all around me. I love listening to people talk, hearing their intonations and speech patterns, as well as their topics of conversations. It really gets my creative drive going and helps a lot with my dialogue writing.

Does that make me a weirdo or something, listening to people's conversations?

Oh well, not only am I a geek, Adam, I'm apparently a creepy geek, too!

hahahahahahahahaha

~KK~

Adam said...

Showers rock! ;-)

Listening to people's conversations doesn't work for me, but loads of writers do it, Kaity. You ain't alone in your creepiness lol :-)

Adam

Kaity Hall said...

Yay for not being the only creepy person!!

~KK~

;)

Kathy said...

5 places to get ideas?

1. the shower
2. taking a walk
3. a good and memorable dream
4. a book
5. a visit to another city, town or state

Adam said...

I wish my dreams made enough sense for me to glean ideas from them. It happens VERY occasionally. :)


Adam

Natasha Fondren said...

Sitting in the shower. But I must be sitting. Which means, now that I've taken to the road, I don't get to sit in the shower anymore. :-(

See, no wonder I'm having trouble brewing ideas, lately. I should try walks.

Adam said...

Hehe, I tend to sit down in the shower too. Laziness pays off! :-)

Adam

bettielee said...

I don't know where the ideas come from.... they just float down through the aether. I can be sitting at my desk, tying my shoes, or packing for a trip and I stop, turn my sad little attention inwards, and lo and behold... there it is. Sometimes they come to nothing, something they must ferment for a long time before they are made into anything.

bettielee
whose geek flag flys high

Adam said...

I get ideas all the time too, in fact most of us will. Those things on my list tend to increase the flow though. ;-)


Adam

Kathy said...

Re: dreams

I don't always remember mine. But I've had a few that were quite interesting and memorable.

And hey, Stephanie Meyer's Twilight thing was a result of a dream she had. So it pays to write them down!

Adam said...

Oh, definitely! I always note anything that seems usable.

My girlfriend has these sprawling epic dreams that are a book in themselves. I'm so jealous! :-)

Adam

colbymarshall said...

Ouch on the back injury- no fun! But I'm glad your edits are in. I'm still awaiting second round of revision notes, and the waiting is murdering me slowly.

Visiting from over at Melanie's blog, btw! Nice to "meet" you!

Bethany Wiggins said...

Writing inspiration hotspots...

1. My morning run (best/most inspiration comes during this time)
2. Washing dishes
3. Grocery shopping
4. Yoga ( when my mind is supposed to be clear.)
5. Cooking dinner.

So, roughly, exercise and anything to do with food bring on the inspiration.

I love your blog. Your personality shines through.

Adam said...

Colby - I'm not exactly savouring the wait for my revisions, either! Nice to meet you, too! :-)

Bethany - Thank you for the list (and the compliment!). It's funny how some things are better than others for ideas. I've yet to get a decent idea from running head first into a door, for example. :(

Adam