Monday, 30 November 2009

A week since my last confes- um, post.

(Listening to - The Distillers - Open Sky)

'Ello all!

First up - I appear to have picked up 4 new followers, as well as a few new readers, in the last week. Welcome, one and all. Lotsa love, and I hope you enjoy my posts. :-)

So, lemme see...

Today is the last day of NaNo. In the last 30 days I've written about 5,000 new words. Methinks that's a "fail." Still, I did manage to edit a 36k novella (twice), and read through, then begin marking up my sci-fi novella, so the month wasn't entirely wasted. Just, y'know... mostly.

Speaking of the sci-fi (I have to call it that, as it currently has no title), my read through confirmed a few problems.

  1. It's sparse. Very sparse (yes, I like redundancies. Redundancies, I like). There's almost no description whatsoever, and while I don't like going overboard, there needs to be quite a bit more than there is.
  2. There are too many characters. Probably (I also like sentence fragments). I have already mentioned this in a previous post, but I have a cat and a secondary character who don't serve any purpose, barring a smidge of comic relief (not enough to keep them). I can either delete them, or beef up their roles. Though beefing up the role of the cat would be a bugger, for obvious reasons.
  3. It's too light in tone at the beginning, when compared to the tone of the end. Which leads me to...
  4. The ending is shaky, at best. The idea works, but it could be better executed.

So there ya have it. It's short, sparse, sketchy and kinda shite in places (I also like alliteration). Despite this, I lurve it, and am looking forward to getting started on the edits.

Speaking of which, good GOD am I nervous about getting my Reaper's Tale revisions/suggested edits/whatever-you-call-it back from my editor (Hi, Cyn!). Don't get me wrong, I have no Golden Word Syndrome that I'm aware of, but still, I'm new to criticism of my work. Fingers crossed, and all that.

So, enough about me, I want to hear something about you (yes, you). What's your favourite song, and why? Post yer answer in my comments! ;-)

Ta ta for now,

Adam


Note - I did originally post that I would be working on Plane Walker (my WIP) while waiting for my edits to come back. That didn't pan out. Besides, I may as well get some editing practise in on my sci-fi while I have chance. It's bound to help with the edit of A Reaper's Tale.

19 comments:

Kaity Hall said...

Favorite song? Wow, that's a toughie for a music buff like me. Since it's the beginning of the Christmas season, my 2 favorite-contemporary- Christmas songs are "Mary did You Know" and "The Gift" both twangy country songs, I know. I am a country girl at heart. My favorite Christmas Hymn is "Silent Night." I also love "Jingle Bells", "Oh Holy Night", I could go on. And on. And on.

Yes, I'm a music nerd.

~KK~

Melanie Avila said...

This post is very pleasing. :)

You want a favorite song? I'm so bad at that. I can't even pick a favorite TYPE of music. I'm all over the place. In fact, I often listen to no music because I can't decide what to listen to and I end up wasting a ridiculous amount of time just trying to decide.

I'm sorry, what was the question?

Rock on with your edits! I'm sure it'll go better than you expect.

Lost Wanderer said...

Yes I can tell you have been editing. LOL.

I don't have a favourite song, because....YES I know I am weird...I rarely listen to music. It's not that I don't like it, but I find music far too distracting, and because i like to do more than one thing at a time, music doesn't work for me. So I watch TV instead. Lots of TV :P

Adam said...

Hehehe, I knew "favourite song" would cause difficulties. ;-)
I can never decide on one either. Currently it's "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen (this is my funeral song), but it may change in an hour. :-P

Kaity - Jingle Bells is my favourite old Xmas tune. Lurve it!

Mel - Thanks, I'm hoping it'll turn out ok, but I do have the odd moment of pessimism. ;-)

LW - Hehe, it tends to seep into everything I do. I was just in the shower, and was muttering about a badly composed sentence on the back of a shampoo bottle.
Ok then, gimme your favourite theme song! (Mine's the Firefly theme)

Adam

Kaity Hall said...

The Buffy Theme Song is my fav. Yay for Joss Whedon classics!!

Adam said...

Kaity - I love that theme, too. Joss Whedon is a GOD!

Adam

Damien Walters Grintalis said...

Favorite song? Yikes. I have many of them, but if I had to pick just one, I think it would be Duran Duran's 'Secret Oktober'. Or Tori Amos's 'Doughnut Song', or maybe NIN's 'Something I Can Never Have, or Duran Duran's 'The Chauffeur' or....I give up. Next question, please. ;)

Erica said...

Very good news indeed :o) I would say that is great progress, that's what matters the most, right?

Favorite song-- I love Mad World, Gary Jules version.

I'm totally in love with Decode by Paramore. Can't leave out my Foo Fighter's. I love all their songs. Oh and Re-education through Labor by Rise Against is a new fav.

Yeah. Sorry can't pick just one.

Great question!

bettielee said...

Eek. That is a hard one.... (that's what she said). I will pick... Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac, which we all know is really Stevie Nicks. She is one of my favoritest artists, and I love that song. i don't know if you can say WHY a song is your favorite. I mean, as Mudhoney asks in the musical question : What moves the heart?

Sophie B said...

Hmmmmm... favourite song?

There are so many! But at the moment it would have to be 'Sideways' by Citizen Cope ft Santana, 'Twisted Transistor' by Korn and 'Paint it Black' by The Rolling Stones.

Joss Whedon is indeed a god! :)

April W said...

Six blade knife by Dire Straits - it is sexy and sinister *shivers*

Adam said...

Damien - I don't believe I've heard any of those songs lol. Will have to hit up Youtube. ;-)

Erica - Thanks! I agree with Foo Fighters, they're a great band.

Bettielee - I love Rhiannon! :D

Sophie - Paint it Black is a wonderful song. Some of the covers SUCK though. :-P

April - Nice choice! Haven't heard that in years. :-)


Adam

Amanda said...

Right now it's Plea by Say Anything. But it changes weekly if not daily. I'm not sure why it's my favorite. I just love playing it as loud as possible after work. Say Anything is the best way to unwind for me. =]

Adam said...

Ooh, another band to look up on Youtube. ;-)

Loud is always better when it comes to music. :)


Adam

Kathy said...

My favorite song?

Hmm....it changes all the time.

I really like "I Dreamed A Dream", the one Susan Boyle sings.

Adam said...

Thanks, Kathy!

Adam

C. D. Yates/Cynthia Brayden-Thomas said...

Heheheh. Be afraid, Adam. Be VERY afraid. Bwahahahahah...

Only kidding. I promise, I'll put away my ex-English-teacher red pen and be gentle. Nice, even.

This time, anyway. ;)

I think that your revisions and all count toward your NaNo. More or less. I mean, the point of NaNo is to git yer butt in the chair and git writin', right? (Yeah, I like alliteration and that there stuff, too.) So...you did that. Celebrate!

And--kill the cat. Unless it can move a plot point around or something, it will just take up space. Trust me on this. I wrote a dog into a book once, and I always had to account for him in every. Freaking. Scene.

Hated that dog...

Adam said...

Haha, that's ok, Cyn. I can cope with negatives, as long as there's the odd positive in there too! ;-)

"Kill the cat" made me giggle, for reasons that will become apparent when you read A Reaper's Tale. :)

But yeah, I think I'll have to do away with Sheba. There are several useless scenes that are just cat ferrying.

Adam

shadowferret said...

Favorite song? That's tough. I have so many I like and it also depends on my mood. Today: Vehicle by the Ides of March.