Hello all! How've you been?
So, 'tis almost a new year, and I thought I'd have a crack at a wrap up of the previous 12 months. Since it's traditional, I'll also be listing a few New Year's resolutions. I've never been very good at keeping to them, but this time is different. Honest.
No, really. Stop laughing.
2009 was a big year for me for a number of reasons, including:
- Family make-ups and break-ups,
- Shiny new friendships,
- The rekindling of old friendships,
- Self discovery (I hate that term),
- Meeting the love of my life,
- The start of my writing journey.
Technically, I began writing in the previous year (or was it the one before...), but up until the start of this year it had only really been a passing interest.
At the start of the year I had about 20k of my first novel, Solus, and that was pretty much it. Thanks to a number of factors, including starting a writing course, buying some writing books, and joining a writing forum, I leave the year with a fair bit more to show for myself. In fact, I have:
- A soon to be published (May 2010!) urban fantasy novella (entitled A Reaper's Tale: The Undecided),
- A 2nd draft of a fantasy novel (currently entitled Solus),
- A 2nd draft of a sci-fi novella (currently entitled Strand),
- Some 5 or 6 submission quality short stories (and a bunch of crap ones too),
- A bunch of completed and marked writing course assignments (most of which I'm happy with),
- A trunked partial first draft of a dark fantasy novel (my ex "Super Secret Project"),
- 11k of another fantasy novel (my current WIP).
DISCLAIMER - I'm not saying the two are mutually exclusive, I'm just trying to bolster my fragile ego, so you can put the crossbow down.
Put. It. DOWN.
*Twang* *Thunk* Ha, ya missed!
(I'd like to take a moment to thank the members of the world's finest writing forum, Absolute Write. I've learnt a huge amount from that forum, from writing tips to information on the workings of the industry. It's great to know that there are so many people going through exactly the same things as me. Made me some kick ass friends on there, too.)
And so, to the main bit of this long ass rambling post. The resolutions!
As I said further up, I'm no good at keeping resolutions. I think this is because I generally go for things that are hard to achieve. This year I shall keep them sensible, yet challenging. Given that this is (predominantly) a writing blog, I'll skip the usual "love and cherish my family" and "stop licking telephone box windows" ones, and concentrate on the ones involving words and commas and stuff. So, here they are.
I resolve to:
- Further improve the quality of my writing, through reading, critiques and (most importantly) practise.
- Increase my productivity, starting at a minimum of 1k a day (or a good number of pages if editing), every day, and working up to 3k by the middle of the year.
- Read more. I'm not saying that I'll read X number of books in the year, just that I'll make a conscious effort to put more books under my nose.
- Find my niche. I'm certain it's fantasy, but what kind? Dark? Urban? Epic? Humorous? Steampunk?
- Submit Strand to a suitable publisher.
- Overhaul Solus and start submitting, along with at least 2 more books.
- Write those 2 other books. ;-)
- Have at least 2 more books picked up by publishers before Dec 31st 2010.
So, gentle viewer, it's your turn! Good year? Bad year? Mixed year (like me)? Resolutions?
PS - I love bullet points. Can ya tell?