Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Why I write (thanks to Ana for the idea!)

(Listening to - Limp Bizkit - Rollin' Urban Assault Vehicle)

So, it was suggested to me that I write a "why you write" blog post. I have a "how I got started" post already, but this one is more to do with why I do it and what I get from it.

Over the short time that I've been writing, I've thought about it a number of times, and the answer has changed almost as often as my socks (so about once a month). It's been "to express myself," "to be heard," "to make lots of money (yeah right)," and "so I don't have to leave the house to earn," among many others.

The past week or so, I got to thinking about it properly, and I found that while those reasons jumped in and out depending on my mood, one reason remained throughout. It's kinda soppy.



Wanna hear it?



You sure?


I want to make people smile.

That's it. I just want someone to read my book, get to The End and, with a big grin on their faces, say "that was awesome."

I have no interest in relaying ideas, morals or themes, or provoking deep thoughts. I just want smiles. Lots and lots of 'em.

Making someone smile or laugh is the most wonderful gift, and knowing that people have read my stuff and done either makes ME smile. :-)

Told you it was soppy.




Ta ta for now,

Adam

PS. Turtles rock.

22 comments:

Janna Qualman said...

Adam! How the hemecken did I miss that you sold your book?! Super congrats, that's awesome!

Turtles do rock. And your socks are nasty. And keep the laughs coming. :)

Adam said...

Hehe, thanks! It'll be out in May with a bit of luck. :-)

Glad you enjoyed the post. :)

Adam

Stacey Graham said...

And that, my friend, is the one of the best reasons of all. That and pots and pots of money to roll around in until you get tiny delicious paper cuts all over you...

What were we talking about again?

YAY TURTLES!

Adam said...

This is true.

(The smile thing, not the papercuts. I have a think about slicing skin. *Shudder*)

Adam

june said...

You made me smile. :)

See, it worked! Can't wait 'till May!

Melanie Avila said...

Ada, that's why I write! That, and the raspberries.

Melanie Avila said...

Um, I didn't mean to give you a new nickname. My apoligies.

Melanie Avila said...

And I can't spell today.

Got any more berries?

Adam said...

June - Thanks! I can't wait either! :D

Mel - The raspberries are out back. Watch the guard turtles. ;-)


Ada

Wait, Adam

Jamie D. said...

Funny - Ada is my sister's name. ;-)

I'll give a hearty "me...uh, three? four?" (I lost count) to that. Good for you.

Fine looking turtle, that... :-)

Adam said...

Jamie - Ta! ;-)

Turtle rock.

Adam

Natasha Fondren said...

LOLOL! Sounds like a good reason to me. :-)

Kaity Hall said...

Ok, I looooove your turtle. And your reason. Soppy is wonderful. Smiles are wonderful. You are wonderful!!!

~KK~

Adam said...

Nat - Ta! :D

Kaity - Aw, shucks! ;-)


Adam

Lost Wanderer said...

That is an excellent reason to write. one of the best.

And I love the cute pic :-)

Adam said...

LW - THE best, surely? ;-)



Adam

Tara McClendon said...

I love that you want to make people smile. What a great answer. My answer is I'm compelled. There's just something wired into me that gravitates toward paper and pen, though the keyboard is almost as addicting now. :] Have a great weekend.

Adam said...

Thanks, Tara! I've never been much of a pen and paper fan. ;-)

Have a good weekend too!

Adam

bettielee said...

aw! little tuwrtle! :) I like your answer. It is very good! I steal? Ok... :)

bettielee

Adam said...

Ok Sammich, you steal. :D

Adam

Elle said...

Well it makes me smile as well :) Congratulations again on the book (I want to read it!)

Adam said...

Thanks, Elle! :-)


Adam