Thursday, 25 March 2010

A Quarter Down. Um, Nearly.

(Listening to - Giant Enemy Crab Podcast - Episode 8)

March has nearly ended. That's like a quarter of the year! Already!

It really doesn't feel that long to me.

Anyway, I thought this would be a good opportunity to review my writing-related New Years Resolutions. (I may have borrowed this idea from another blog, I'm not sure.)

Below, you'll find my resolutions. I've not read them in months, so I'm a lil' excited to see how I did. Here we go then:

  • Further improve the quality of my writing, through reading, critiques and (most importantly) practise. - I feel that my writing quality has improved, thanks mostly to my work editing A Reaper's Tale in readiness for its release.
  • Increase my productivity, starting at a minimum of 1k a day (or a good number of pages if editing), every day, and working up to 3k by the middle of the year. - Currently averaging 1-2k a day, and that's with editing work (Reaper and Strand) at the same time, so I'd say I'm on target.
  • Read more. I'm not saying that I'll read X number of books in the year, just that I'll make a conscious effort to put more books under my nose. - 13 so far, probably 14 before March is through. Not tons, but I'm happy.
  • Find my niche. I'm certain it's fantasy, but what kind? Dark? Urban? Epic? Humorous? Steampunk? - Still not entirely sure, but it's looking to be humorous fantasy. Or maybe plain humour. Or ninja romance.
  • Submit Strand to a suitable publisher. - Working on it! One more major edit...
  • Overhaul Solus and start submitting, along with at least 2 more books. - Working on it!
  • Write those 2 other books. - Trunked the first one, unfortunately, but the second is going strong!
  • Have at least 2 more books picked up by publishers before Dec 31st 2010. - Working on it!
So, not too bad so far! I was a little unsure before I saw the list, but I appear to still be on target.

This makes me a happy Adam. :-)


In other news, the sequel to Reaper is coming along nicely, as is the edit to Strand. Gumshoe is once again on hold, though, as I need to get the paying stuff done first. Curse my need for cash money. ;)

Ooh, and I got 500 free business cards that say "Adam Slade" and "Author" on them. Of course, I have absolutely no use for them, but meh.

So, how have you all done with your resolutions?

TTFN,

Adam

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Well, one of my resolutions was to learn to play piano so I can perform my own songs. And I am learning!

I am learning to read music, too.

The other stuff I kinda put on a back burner for a while.

bettielee said...

These are very awesome, Adam! I am doing good on my resolutions, right on track... :) Keep it goin' ADAM!
sammich

Dolly said...

Excellent work on resolutions. I have been thinking about doing a post about mine, though mine is going to be a change of resolutions as oppose to just update ;)

And right now I so envy your full-time writer job where you get all day to do writerly stuff.

Ooh Ninja Romance - yes please. I want to read that. Go write. Now.

Adam said...

Yay peeps!!! :D

Dolly - I'll get right on that Ninja Romance. Honest. ;P


Adam

C R Ward said...

Last time I did an update on my yearly goals I was doing so well that I added another couple to the list. :-)

Adam said...

Awesome! :D

I'm still working on a few, so I'll keep 'em as is for now. :-)

Adam

Erica Chapman said...

Nice job! Wow, you've made great progess and those are some lofty goals ;o) I didn't make any, but I'm working on revision of my NaNo draft, which is my number 1 goal!

Kudos on the business cards - that's a great feeling isn't it ;o) Good luck with the revising/writing!

Adam said...

Thanks, Erica!

I set my goals high on purpose, as I need to step up my game. Too much slacking lol ;-)

Good luck on the NaNo revision!

Adam

Melanie Avila said...

I'm sorry I'm so tardy with my comments. AWESOME job on your resolutions. That's a good idea to check in with them throughout the year.

I didn't make any resolutions this year but I'm no longer depressed or in fear for my safety, so I'd say that's progress.

Adam said...

Definitely progress, Mel. ;-)

Adam