Monday, 8 March 2010

Sequels 'n Series.

(Listening to - Ghost Of The Robot - Good Night Sweet Girl)

Hello ladies and gents. How is everyone?

Lately, I've been thinking. Well, I'm always thinking, but "I'm always thinking but I'm now thinking about something I wasn't previously thinking about" isn't as good a start to a sentence. Also, it uses the word "thinking" too much.

Um, I'll start over.

Lately, I've been thinking. My current WIP, Plane Walker, is fun and all, but there's something wrong with it. Quite frankly, it's boring me. The main characters are fun and interesting, and the overall plot is cool, but there's something missing. A spark, if you will. This can only mean one thing...

*Drum roll*

I'm trunking it.

Not permanently, but at least for now. I know that in past blog posts I've said that it was going well, but I wasn't being honest with myself. I'm in love with the main characters and the story, but there are several other parts that I'm not happy with. In a few months, maybe I'll be able to fix it, but at the moment I'd rather not spend the time wracking my brains trying to make it not suck when I could be devoting that time to another project.

And I do have another project.

Oh yes. Yes I do.

Wanna know what it is?

Whaddya mean, "no"?!

Yeah? Well so do you, buddy! And I'm telling you anyway!

*Cough*

The next project I'm working on iiiiiiiis... A sequel to my recently sold book, A Reaper's Tale (out May 17th)!

(All of a sudden my title makes sense, huh?)

To be honest, I've been having ideas for the sequel since I hit The End of the first draft of Reaper, and I'm surprised I've waited this long. The format lends itself nicely to another story, or even a series, and I love writing in that world. Granted, the first book turned Mal's life upside-down (in more ways than one), but he's an adaptable guy / Grim Reaper / walking corpse.

At the moment, I'm only at the brainstorming stage, but as I said above, I've been pondering a sequel for a while, so I'm speeding through this part of the process.

The plot will probably include death, reaping (easy on the "grim"), demons, lurve, demon lurve, and funny stuff that will have you laughing so hard that you buy another 10 copies to give to your buddies. Also, it'll also be longer. I'll keep you updated with progress.

Alrighty, it's now 2.30am, and I've rambled on long enough.

I shall leave you with a question:

What is your opinion on series? Love 'em? Hate 'em? Prefer standalone titles?

TTFN,

Adam

PS - Strand edit status - Getting there... *Yawn*

PPS - Gumshoe episode status - Um... Well, it'll be up quicker than the last one.

15 comments:

Janna Qualman said...

ROFL! I lurve your humor.

It's okay, we all trunk at least once in our lives. ;) And maybe if you put it aside, let it stew, something will pop out and seem just right to make it better. In the meantime, best with this sequel!

Melanie Avila said...

Ooh, I love sequels and series. If you'd asked me that a couple years ago I probably would have said the opposite, but now I've seen the light.

Go forth, young Adam, and become a serialist.

lol, my wv is BIPSH. I think that might be my new word for pffft.

Adam said...

Thanks, Janna! :-)

This is my second trunked book so far. I lurve both story ideas, so hopefully I'll get around to finishing them some day.

Mel - I liek serial. Especially muesli.

*cough*

Thanks! :D


Adam

PS - Bipsh.

Matt said...

I'll bet writers like sequels more than readers. We need to continue with the worlds we create. But as a reader, I love sequels too. If I'm having fun in a fictional world, why would I want to leave? Keep 'em coming.

Adam said...

Woop! Thanks for commenting, Matt! :)

I'm an enormous fan of series, but I know not everyone is. The fools! ;)

Adam

bettielee said...

Gosh, it seems series are all I read. Being a fan of the fantasy and all, and if I had a nickel for every stand alone fantasy I've found... I'd have very few nickels. Sequel away!

Dolly said...

I love sequels and series, assuming they are well written and writer doesn't get lazy or sloppy half-way through. Once I get to adore some characters, I just don't want to leave them - THOUGH - for series, I must admit, I have yet to find one which I haven't loose oomph about after several books - not dislike necessarily, but it gets repetitive enough that I stop running out to buy new books.

Natasha Fondren said...

Love reading them and love writing them! Love, love, love. Actually, I find it hard to read stand-alones, anymore. As far as writing them, I almost exclusively write them, now.

So: Go Adam! :-)

Adam said...

Sammich - Woop! I doubt mine'll be Dark Tower level fiction, but ya never know. :D

Dolly - Yeah, that's been the case with a fair few series I've read. I continue to buy the books and persevere, though, as I still want to know what happens. :-)

Natasha - YAY!


Adam

Kaity Hall said...

I'm an equal parts series and stand alone girl. I love a good series, but I also love a book that is wonderful all by itself. since I've never actually finished a book that I've tried to write, I can't voice an opinion about writing serials, but I'd love to give it a try someday!

~KK~

Adam said...

Kaity - It's new ground for me, too. I'm looking forward to it though! :-)

Adam

Kathy said...

Oh, I think you should definitely do a sequel to your novella.

Maybe this time the reaper grows a tail and you can call it "A Reaper's Tail."

Get it?

Adam said...

*Groan*

;-)

Adam

Kathy said...

I thought it was quite clever.

Maybe "A Reaper's Tale of Two Cities"?

Adam said...

Xyla has a tail already. That's enough tail for one story. ;)

Adam