Tuesday, 27 April 2010

Ollie The Collie.

(Listening to - Birds Singing, Lawnmowers Mowing.)

Up until yesterday, I had two brothers. One, Rick, is 28 and slightly daft, the other, Oliver, was 12, four legged and covered in fur.


We got Ollie at the age of five. The most beautiful pedigree Welsh Border Collie. He'd not had the best life up to the point, and it always boggled my mind why anyone wouldn't shower him in love 24/7.

Throughout our time together (barring two snaps and a sock bite in the early days), he'd been nothing but loving. All he wanted to do was play and snuggle, in equal quantities.



Seven years, we had together, and I loved every single day.

A few days ago, Ollie started to feel ill. He was dopey, and had issues with his back legs. We saw the vet, and he started to improve. Yesterday morning though, his legs failed completely. I sat with him for hours, keeping him company while we waited for a vet appointment. Then he had a seizure. A big one. We rushed him to the vet and grudgingly left him for tests.

Two hours later they called, suspecting a tumour on his pancreas. They had him on a drip, and would call again later when they'd run more tests.

The later call brought bad news. He wasn't responding to the drip, and had had another seizure. If he didn't start picking up soon, we would have to discuss putting him to sleep, as the tumour was inoperable, and chemotherapy treatments would be both cruel and pointless.

I'm sure Ollie tried his hardest to come through, but it was no good. He still wasn't responding to the drip.

The last moments of his life were spent in a vet cage, barely aware of his surroundings (a blessing in disguise, since he always hated vets). He let out a soft howl as the vet injected the lethal cocktail into his drip. He'd never howled before. Not once.

We stroked and watched his breathing shallow, and his movements lessen, and then he was gone.

My Ollie, who everyone loved to pieces.

Rest in peace, boy. I'll see you again.

42 comments:

Rhaina said...

Great blog post sweetie. He was loved and love you back.

Adam said...

Thanks, sweetheart. :)

Love you.

Adam

Carole Lee said...

What a sweet boy. They give us so much love, patience and understanding. I know you gave him a wonderful life in return. It's so difficult to let them go, no matter what the circumstances happen to be. But you showed great strength, compassion and love to him yesterday. I am sure he knows it and is thankful.

Adam said...

Thanks, Carole. :)

Adam

Stacey Espino said...

:(
So sorry for your loss, Adam.

Adam said...

Thank you, Stacey. :)


Adam

Jason Tudor said...

Again, Adam, so sorry for the loss.

Adam said...

Thanks Jason. :)

Adam

bettielee said...

Love and hugs, Adam. I'm so sorry....

Adam said...

Thanks. :)

Adam

Falen said...

I'm really sorry to hear about Ollie. There's never any real words of consolation. I still grieve heavily for the ones i've lost and i guess the only thing we can do is remember them and love them.

Adam said...

Thanks, Falen.

Adam

Sara Spock said...

A beautiful tribute, Adam. You gave each other some amazing years. <3 Hugs.

Adam said...

Thanks, Sara.

He was the best. :)

Adam

Jamie D. said...

What a lovely eulogy - Ollie was very lucky to have you. It never gets easier, but thank you for sharing him with us. :-)

*hugs*

Adam said...

Thank you, Jamie. :)

Adam

Erica Chapman said...

Oh Adam, I'm so sorry. What a great tribute and wonderful pics. He's adorable.

My thoughts are with you my friend.

Adam said...

Thanks, Erica. :-)


Adam

K.Hinny said...

Adam, sorry about your pup. He sounds like he was something very special.

Adam said...

He was. :)

Thanks

Adam

Kim said...

Here's to Ollie, a wonderful companion and brother..and to you Adam, he who loved Ollie with his whole heart and provided him with sheltering warmth, love, fun and a wonderful family to be long to.

Adam said...

Thank you, Kim. Much appreciated. :)

Adam

Pam said...

My furry friend left after 15 years, under very similar circumstances. I know how difficult it is to lose your best friend.

Your post is a great tribute. Ollie will live on in your memory until you meet again.

I am sorry for your loss.

Adam said...

Thank you, Pam. :-)

Adam

Angie said...

So sorry again, Adam. He was a beautiful dog, and I'm glad he had such a loving family after his rough beginning.

Adam said...

Thanks, Angie. :)

Adam

Jemi Fraser said...

What a beautiful dog. Take solace in the fact he was loved and had you. Treasure the memories.

Melanie Avila said...

Oh Adam, I'm so sorry. Although we've never met in person, my tears are very real.

::hugs::

(and Owen just licked my hand, probably because I'm sniffling)

C R Ward said...

Oh, Adam, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing a loved one, whether it's two legged or four legged.

Your post is a wonderful tribute to your fur-brother.

*hugs*

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/poem.htm

Adam said...

Jemi - Thanks. :)

Mel - *Hugs* Give Owen a smooch for me. :)

CR - Thank you, and thanks for the link. :-)

Adam

Janna Qualman said...

Oh, Adam. Across the miles and internet I feel your pain. I'm so sorry.

We had a Border Collie when we first got married. They're incredible dogs. I'd just like to think my Baxter can play with your Ollie where they are now.

*hugs*

Adam said...

Thanks, Janna. I'm sure they;re having a whale of a time together. :-)

Adam

Ana Goncalves said...

Dear Adam,
I feel your loss, at the same time I know that Ollie will be truly cherished and always remembered by the strength that you have in remembering his character and your ability to accept what has happened.
My regards

Adam said...

Thanks, Ana. :)

Adam

Wendy Sparrow said...

I'm sorry. We have a husky/lab and he is so one-of-a-kind that I wish I could clone him or stop time. It's tough having a friend with a shorter life span. I'm sorry. Hugs to you.

Adam said...

I felt the same about Ollie. I've never met another pooch like him, and likely never will. :)

Thanks

Adam

Kim said...

**Hugs** to you and I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my dog Bear in 2002, and still miss him like crazy.

Those pictures are adorable and you were both lucky to have had each other.

Adam said...

Thank you, Kim. :)

Adam

Matt said...

So sorry Adam. You lost a good friend. I'd trade in all my humans for one furry friend like Ollie. No one ever loves you like a pet.

Adam said...

Thanks, Matt. I won't be without pets for long. :)

Adam

Angela said...

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like a wonderful dog. I think animals give us so much more than we can ever hope to give back.

Adam said...

Thanks, Angela. :)

Adam