Sunday, 4 July 2010

Hello From Newfoundland!

(Listening to - Charlie Mewing)


Hey hey!

I've been in Newfie for five days now, and am having a great time. I have photos, too! But first, the flights:

(This'll be a loooooooong ass post, but I decided since so many people have asked for details, I'd go the whole hog with it.)

On the night before, I'd managed to get less than an hour and a half's sleep, and was worried that I'd be fast asleep the moment I landed in Newfoundland some twelve hours later. More on that in a mo. :)

The flight over was better than I expected. The connecting flight to Heathrow was short and sweet, and was also my first taste of air travel. Turns out I quite enjoy it. The views are awesome! Once arriving in London, I had a more than two hour wait until my next flight, but there were more than enough shops to keep me occupied. After a lot of wandering around, I set off to my gate for the next leg of the journey, still remarkably perky, though this is partly down to the can of Red Bull...

The flight from London to Newfoundland was a direct five hour trip, slowed a little by a band not being able to fit their instruments in the overhead storage, and some headwinds on the way. The meal was surprisingly edible for the most part (chicken, rice, some brown stuff), and the people next to me were pleasant enough to talk to when I emerged from my iPod every now and then. The headrest TVs had a big range of films and music too, which is handy as I burned through all my unlistened to podcasts on the trip here, and will need other entertainment on the way back.

I touched down in St. John's at around 3pm local time, and after customs, headed out into the main terminal to see my sweetie waiting for me. That was definitely the most nerve-wracking part,, but thankfully I needn't have worried. The meeting went great.

After the first uncomfortable few minutes where I babbled like a baffoon, that is.

*Cough*

As I was coming through customs, I'd been drilling myself mentally to make sure I didn't completely blow the meeting with Rhaina, since first impressions are important (this was our first meeting after eight months+ of online, in case you didn't know). As I'm prone to not thinking before I speak, I went over the greeting in my head, so as to minimise the risk of saying something like, "My bum hurts from the flight," or, "You look taller than you looked on my monitor." The drilling worked, and I opened with "Hello sweetie."

The second important meeting was with Rhaina's cat, Charlie.


As you can see by his snuggling of my luggage, that went well too. Woop, two for two!


So, that's the meeting, pretty much. Since then, we've been shopping, smooching, walking, cuddling, and I've had several guided drives of the area too. Because I love stuff like this, here's some differences I've noticed so far:

  • They drive on the wrong side of the bloody road! Talk about dangerous. Luckily they ALL do it, or there'd be carnage.
  • Trolleys (or shopping carts as they call 'em) have only two wheels that steer! What the crap?! I'm constantly cornering badly and nearly knocking shelves down.
  • The ATM machines are in the foyer of the bank, as opposed to be outside on the wall (not including their funky-ass drive-thru ATMs).
  • There are many many many different brands, but the food is pretty similar for the most part, though in considerably larger portions.
  • The electrical plugs only have two prongs for the most part, as opposed to the vastly superior English ones (I've already knocked a plug out by mistake here).
  • The houses are WAY prettier than English ones. The houses in most areas in England are brick, brown, square 'n dull. Here, they're wood, multi-coloured, funky shapes and awesome (pic below).
  • The money here is weird. S'like toy money, in fact. Rhaina tells me that English money looks very old in comparison, and she's probably right. :)
  • They have fast food joints on nearly every corner, and even inside other stores. That said, some of the stuff I've eaten has been vastly superior to English fast food.
  • Tim Hortons' tea ROCKS!
  • As do their vanilla dipped doughnuts.
  • No letter boxes! No slot in the door, instead they have a box screwed to the wall. Weeeeeiiird.

And now, some photos!

(I know, I know, there's none of me and Rhaina together. The only one we agree on is blurry as hell. More to come.)


The cake Rhaina bought to celebrate my birthday. We're pretty sure that's supposed to be a maple leaf in the middle. ;)

Me rocking the Tim Hortons somewhere near Flatrock Harbour (I think). I'm not frowning, I'm squinting. It's brighter than it looks. ;)

Flatrock Harbour. I love rocky coasts.

Flatrock Harbour again, looking flatter this time, if slanted.

St' John's' oldest graveyard. So pretty, and great fer walking hand in hand through. :)

Them trees just keep going!

Wal-Mart!!! We have 'em here in select places, but I'd never been in one before. They sold Mars Bars so I officially love 'em.

Look at the houses! If that was England, they'd all be brown brick.


Aaaaaaaaaaaand that's all for now! Hope you enjoyed the post!

I'll be going for my first ever tattoo tomorrow, so wish me luck! Will post a pic once it's done.

Toodles!

Adam

14 comments:

bettielee said...

Sounds like an awesome visit, so far! Funny - all that you mentioned is sort of like America, but some of the things you said are one way, we have both ways in America (ie: we have slots in the door, mailboxes OR you can have a box on the wall.) The land of options I guess.

Adam said...

They have both choices in Newfie too, but I've seen a lot more boxes than slots. :-)

I'm loving it so far! :D

Adam

R. G. Randell said...

Love the blog post and you muffin. We still have lots to see in the next week and I'm going to miss you something crazy when you go back.

Kathy said...

Adam, I agree with bettielee.
The states are very similar to what you've described in Canada.

Lots of variety in stores, maybe too much! You can have a mailbox down in front of your house near the street or right close to your front door (ours is attached to the house) or in various other locations. My neighbor has a mail slot in her front door.

Houses vary a lot in color and design. I should take a pic of one around the block from me--it is very different-looking, but interesting.

Jemi Fraser said...

Tim Horton's tea does rock! :)

I'm so glad you're enjoying the visit so far. Good luck with the tattoo!

K.Hinny said...

I don't recall asking for detail. :D

Hey Adam! Glad you guys are having such a great time and thanks for sharing the pictures with us, they're grrreat! Keep having fun!

happy writing
Kara

Melanie Avila said...

This post makes me so happy! Yay!!

I love Canadian money. We had a lot of Canadians where I lived in Mexico and it's totally play money.

Adam said...

I lurve it! It looks like I have more money when it's in Canadian dollars! ;-)

Adam

Matt said...

I'm glad you're having such a great time Adam. I had a great time reading your description of everything so foreign to you, yet so familiar to me.

Adam said...

Thanks Matt! :)

Adam

Ana Goncalves said...

Dear Adam,
Am so happy you are having a truly wonderful time, sounds like you have fitted right at home there and it must be even wonderful being with Rhaina. The houses do indeed look very pretty, and a nice take of color too than the usual English ones. I look forward in hearing more about your adventures, and the tattoo looks good! Hope it didn't hurt. Have the rest of a lovely stay. :D P.S-Who is Tim Horton?

Adam said...

Thanks, Ana! Tim Hortons is a chain of food sellers that sell awesome tea and coffee. :)

Adam

R. G. Randell said...

Great memories!

Adam said...

The best, love. :-)

Adam