Friday, 13 August 2010

Dustin Time by June Kramin

(Listening to - Meatloaf - I'd Do Anything For Love [12 minute version, baby!])

Hey hey, peoples, hope you're all well!

This 'ere is a book review for a book I finished last night. If you've already read it, good for you! If not, give my review a look. Then buy the damn book.

*cough*


(For the purposes of that ridiculous law that was passed about reviews - I purchased this book with my own moniez. So there.)

First up, lemme throw in a disclaimer - I suck at reviews. Ok, off we go then...



The blurb -

A successful veterinarian, Kaitlyn thought she was content with her life. That is, until she turns thirty and realizes that her current 'boy toy' is simply not the father material she was looking for. As her biological clock ticks loudly in her ear, both her 'toy' and fate strongly disagree.

But something happens and over the next several days, she starts traveling between her birthdays of an altered present and those of her past, leaving her more confused than ever. With the help of a kindly old custodian named Frank, Kaitlyn comes to terms with her feelings for Dustin. And can Dustin Time quiet the ticking she's trying so desperately to ignore?

**********

Short version -

Loved it! Buy it!

Long version -

When I read the blurb, I expected some sort of science fiction / romance hybrid. That's not what I got. While there is definitely a time travel element in it, it's never heavy, and it takes a back seat to the romance. Think Groundhog Day, rather than Back to the Future. :)

The ride June takes you on has more twists and turns than my wonky spine, and leaves the main character Kaitlyn's head spinning as she tries to figure out what the heck is going on, and why Dustin appears in every "jump."

The characters are really well done; each one is crafted perfectly, and there's no point where I confused one with another (I'm terrible for that). Even the minor characters are flesh out and distinctive.

Kaitlyn and Dustin shine especially, as well Frank, the custodian. Other favourites of mine include Kaitlyn's staff and Dustin's father. I won't go into any great detail as I hate reviews that give spoilers. ;)

The story kept me glued to my ereader (I was reading till 5.30am last night), and I was truly sad to be leaving the characters once I'd finished.




In other, non reviewy news -

I finally finished marking up Solus! Now I just need to make the changes to the file and write the new scenes, then re-read, re-edit, possibly get it read by a couple of people, then start hitting up agents!

Hopefully I'll be able to announce my other news in the queries, too. Just waiting on contracts...


That's all folks!

Adam

4 comments:

R. G. Randell said...

Yup, get Solus out there!!

Adam said...

Working on it! :D

Adam

Melanie Avila said...

I can't wait to read it!

I've been wondering how heavy the time travel aspect was, so I'm glad you touched on that.

Woot on Solus!

Adam said...

It's brilliant, Mel! :-)

And ta!

Adam