Sunday, 12 September 2010

A Snippet

(Listening to - Nothing!)

This is currently the opening to my new post apocalyptic WIP:

Gregor stooped and plucked an ashen skull from a pile of bones in the bottom of one of the stasis pods.

"Alas, poor Yorick. I knew him well." He peered in through the eye sockets. "Always wanted to say that."

"That's not Sergeant Yorick." Craig pointed to another pod. "That is."

Gregor turned. "Who's this then?"

Craig brushed the dust from the name plate on the pod. "Private Steve Cooper."

"Bah." Gregor dropped the skull. "I hated Steve."

Craig watched, mystified, as his superior, Commander Gregor SURNAME pushed past him and picked up the correct skull and began to recite the same verse. Another of the troops stepped forward.

"Commander, what are your orders?"

Gregor spun, the skull still in his hand, and regarded the private for a few seconds longer than necessary. "I wasn't finished."

The private glanced at the skull, then back at the commander. "With respect, sir, Yorick was a friend of mine."

"Then you'll want me to finish his send off, no?" He didn't let the private reply. "There's a good man!"

"Then you'll want to say it right," a voice added from behind them. "It's 'Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.'"

Gregor shrugged. "I prefer the misquote, thank you, doctor. I cannot stand Shakespeare."

"Then why--"

He was cut off by the sound of the skull shattering on the floor. "Too late, you spoiled the moment."


I don't want to give anything away (mostly because I don't know much of anything about the plot yet), but it's about a group of soldiers who wake from a form of statis to find that the world has been destroyed and humanity wiped out through war.
Gregor is the leader, who is was brought out earlier than the rest, and the process seems to have addled him somewhat. Hence the not taking death seriously (wonder where he gets that from...)


So what do you think? Has legs? :)

TTFN,

Adam

PS - I'm aware the guy has no surname. I'll figure it out eventually. ;)

14 comments:

R. G. Randell said...

Yup! Hairy ones...

Adam said...

Lol! ;-)

<3

Adam

Angie said...

Hilarious! :D

Adam said...

Glad you liked, Angie! :)

Adam

Jemi Fraser said...

Definitely has legs - I'm intrigued & want to see what happens to the kook! :)

Nerine Dorman said...

**grins**

Sweet.

Melanie Avila said...

Fun!

Adam said...

Thanks peeps! :-)

Adam

Laurie said...

Legs it has - can't wait to see where it wanders off to. ;)

Adam said...

Thanks, Skwirrel! :D

Adam

Erica M. Chapman said...

Funny. I love how you take a moment about someone holding a skull and make me laugh!

Nice job ;o)

Adam said...

Woot! Thanks, Erica! :D

Adam

Janna Qualman said...

Yes! Fun and witty. Love your style.

Adam said...

Yay! Thanks, Janna! Glad you like! :D

Adam