Thursday, 13 January 2011

The Experiment

*Insert evil scientist type laugh here.*

All right, so it's not that kind of experiment, but I do a good sinister laugh, and it'd be a shame not to use it.

As you may have spotted on my word counters to the right of the blog, I've started in on the new project. For those who have read my How I Write series, I've passed part three, and am rounding on part four. For those who haven't, I'm done with chapter one and am at the point where I plan out most of the story.

Only I'm not going to. I've decided that, from this point on, I'm going to try writing without a plan.

There are two reasons for this. Firstly, I've never written a book without some form of plan before, and am curious as to whether I can do it. Secondly, I'm drawing a blank on future events but don't want to give up on the project as the characters are fun, and I think it could be a good 'un.

So, instead of sitting down and going through the usual steps, I'm going to write and see what happens. If it works out, great! If not, I'll have to have a think. I'm confident that I can do it, though.

Watch this space...

So, reading writers, are you planners or 'pantsers'?


In Other News:

The Pyro edit is coming along nicely. I've had to make more tweaks than I expected, but they're not huge issues (mostly character stuff). I'm a little concerned about the length, as I'm not adding as much as I need to, but I'm not going to add unnecessary scenes for the sake of padding.

I hope to have the marking up done in a day or three, and then have the changes made a few days after that. Then it'll need another minor edit or two, and it'll be ready for subbing. Yay!

Once that's done, I can start the edit on the sequel to A Reaper's Tale (though I still don't know what I'm planning to do with it).



TTFN,

Adam

10 comments:

June Kramin said...

I highly recommend the "Just write" style. It's gotten me to almost 60K so far! I still don't know what I'm doing. Glad my MC's do! :)

Adam said...

Ta for the comment, Bugs. :-)

Other than the odd 5-10k stretch, I've always planned out my stuff, so this should be entertaining... ;)


Adam

Dolly said...

I started out as a pantster (not knowing anything different, and influence by too many movies where writers just sit down and churn out amazing masterpieces), and then turned to a planner, and I don't believe I would ever go back. Half completed drafts or even fully completed ones are still giving me nightmares when I think about the rewrites.

Good luck. I am interested to see how this experiment turns out.

Adam said...

Thanks, Dolly. :-)

I started off planning much more than I do now, and have planned less with each project. I'm curious to see how I manage... ;)


Adam

C R Ward said...

Welcome to the dark side!

Muwahahahahaha!

I am a confirmed pantser. I did try to write once using a plan, and I'm still editing that puppy.

Writing is like going for a Sunday drive (not that anyone can afford the gas to do that any more). You can plan it out and have a safe, quiet journey, but it’s a little boring - been there, done that. However, if you just pick a direction and go, you never know where you'll end up or what you might see. Sure, sometimes you end up in a place you don’t want to be, but half the fun is finding your way out again.

Adam said...

Even when I plan, I tend to follow any diversions my writing takes me on, then plan around the new stuff, but I think the lack of a plan may lead even further astray. :P


Adam

Jeanette Levellie said...

Good for you, Adam! I think we all need to change our style once in awhile for brain exercise.

I am a panster, but I usually know where I want an article or story to end.

Happy Weekend,
Jen

Adam said...

Thanks, Jen! :-)

At this moment in time, I have little to know idea where I'm headed with it, other than a very vague end conflict. Should be fun! ;)



Adam

Melanie Hooyenga said...

I'm an outliner all the way!

Adam said...

Me too, which is why this is so much fun. ;)


Adam