Sunday, 29 May 2011

A Grim Pact

So, as you may have seen in the previous post, I've been working on the sequel to A Reaper's Tale. It's title is A Grim Pact, and it starts the day after the events of Reaper, and revolves around Mal's attempts to stop a serial killer. Among other things.

It's also going to be self published.

Yup.

I'm sure my readers are now in three camps. The "boo"s, the "woo"s, and the "I don't care"s. I've made my opinions on the debate clear in the past, so I'll avoid going over that again. Too durned arguey. ;)

The reasons for going down this path are thrice, and since I like the sound of my own voice, I shall enumerate.


  1. I get to set my own price - This doesn't mean I want more money. In fact it's the opposite. I wish to sell the book for less than a publisher would do so. Publishers have more overheads to cover, and thus need to charge more. I do not have the same issues. Plus, y'know, everyone likes cheap books.
  2. It's fast - Again, publishers take longer to bring things out, because they're busy dealing with another two dozen authors' manuscripts at the same time. I don't have a great deal on my plate at the moment, so I can devote mucho time to working on the manuscript.
  3. I'm curious - Always have been. Formatting, line editing, and the like, are all things that I haven't done before, and I'm looking forward to seeing what I'm capable of.

Now, before the "boo"s start in on the comments, I'll give you the three downsides that I'm being careful to keep in my noggin.

  1. It costs me money - Not much, granted, since most of the tasks are done by myself, but if I were to go with a publisher there would be zero cost. In this case, I've had to pay for the cover art, and will have to shell out a little on advertising (though not much - I'm not daft).
  2. It's hard - The advantage to going through a publisher is that you get help along the way. Most importantly through editors. I have no editors helping me with this. Other than some incredibly helpful beta readers, I'm flying solo (I'm not willing to hire an editor - mostly because I'm poor). In reality, this means I have to pay so much attention that by the evening, my brain is goo.
  3. The stigma - Yes, there still is one, and it's not going anywhere. Some reviewers won't take self pubbed titles, some third party sellers won't list them, and some people turn their nose up at the mere mention of a title being self published. Fair enough. I understand that there is a LOT of self published stuff out there that isn't even worth grabbing for free. But it's not all like that.

I did not take this decision lightly. It took weeks. At the end of the day though(I hate that saying), what I choose is my choice, and my choice alone, and I choose to self pub this title and its sequels. That does not, however, mean that everything else I produce will also be self published. I'm still working on attaining an agent with another project, and my end goal is to be traditionally published.
Yes, having self pubbed works may affect some agents' decision in taking me on, but if that's the case, so be it.

I can only let my writing speak for itself, and hope it's packing a megaphone.

TTFN,

Adam

PS - More humour in the next post. Promise!
PPS - And maybe an excerpt.

9 comments:

Vivian Kees/Xondra Day said...

Great informative post. I support you all the way :)

Adam said...

Muah! :D


Adam

Dolly said...

I totally agree that your book, your choice. And it's frankly no one else's business. So good luck. Hope this venture works out for you :-))

Adam said...

I knew I liked you, Dolly. ;)


Adam

Dolly said...

awwwwww :-))

bettielee said...

congrats on your choice Adam, and I am so gonna buy this. :)

Adam said...

Woot! :-)

Ta, Sammich. :)

Adam

June Kramin said...

It sad to think you have to defend your decision. I know there are & will always be arguments for & against self pubbing but I think this is a great choice for you. You already have your followers (& in my daughter's case - FAN CLUB/stalker) for this series. I'm behind you 200%!! Rock on!! Keep in mind - even with professional editors - there are typos *cough*Dustin Time*cough* ;) It'll be great! Now hurry up & write me #3! :D

Adam said...

Thanks, June. :-)

Nobody has made mention so far, but it's only a matter of time. I like to prepare for such things, though. ;)

(You're still my number 1 fan [excluding family], but Val is catching you up!)


Adam